Friday, February 04, 2005

Reflecting On My Past Week

I don't know if my drinking habits here are like The Freshman Year I Never Had or more like the eventual Mid-Thirties Divorcee Nightly Trips To The Corner Bar that I dread. No, honestly, I am living it up here like its my job. I am going out nightly with my friends. Then, I wake up at 7 AM, do my grammar worksheets diligently, go to my classes, laugh, learn german faster than I ever have before, go home to nap and read, make dinner with my friends and then do it all over again. It is actually a rather lovely lifestyle. Did I mention I'm in the middle of Europe?

I have a four day weekend for this crazy catholic holiday starting today. Should I travel through Germany with Rory? Pack up and go to Prague with a group? Stay at home, buy bottles of wine, and visit museums?

We'll see. I love having to make that decision.

I went to see _Napola_ the other night. It is a German film about this school for the Nazi elite in 1942ish. While a little melodramatic at times, it make me think a lot about the breaking point for a person. When do you say, "no, this is wrong"? The example my teacher gave: picture yourself in Germany in the 1940s, your local bakery, the bakery you have been shopping at since you were practically born, is owned by a jew. You walk to it to buy bread, the Gestapo is in front of it. "You can not buy bread here. Go to another bakery." Do you enter? Maybe you don't go in that first day, but next week, when you walk to buy your beloved rolls, do you walk in that day? At what point does self interest stop you from acknowledging how your actions support the government you object to?